I have pre-ordered the Sony A7RII (ILCE-7RM2) which I find pretty exciting for many reasons but I won’t go into the main advantages over my current A7R. You can find those pretty much everywhere but I intend on reviewing this camera with my A7R. However there are few things that I will need to chane in my workflow. One is updating my Metabones IV to the newest firmware (Mac & Windows) compatible with the A7II IBIS system (and will hopefully work with the A7RII as well). I can drop the use of my IR and wired remotes (that’s free too!). However my A7R bargain Neewer Arca Swiss L Plate Bracket is obviously on my A7R (which I am planning to keep) but will not fit the new A7RII.
Reports indicate that the new A7II L bracket has the same footprint and layout as the new A7RII and most of the A7 series accessories will also fit too. So I’ve ordered the same generic series of brackets to the Neewer ‘branded’ one I got from Amazon, from ebay (affiliated links FYI).
Unlike my A7R L-Bracket It’s not a 2 piece but is very similar to my generic 6D L-Bracket. This is a Chinese import on ebay and Amazon etc. I have no issues with the Neewer bracket on my A7R apart from the awkwardness of the remote plug when in portrait mode (not sure that can be helped unless you have an angled plug).
Edit: Now I have my A7RII the only issue I have found with this design is in opening the cover for the mic and earphone sockets is very difficult with your fingers. Other than that a very good fit and sturdy enough for me for the price. One small issue I have found is that at 2 points the edges of the bracket have marked the paint on the bottom plate. I have put electrical tape on these areas. I wonder if they were slightly misaligned. Anyway that should solve any issues.
• L-Plate custom designed for Sony A7 II camera (and A7RII now) – won’t sway or twist when mounted on the bracket
• Arca-Swiss standard dovetails are compatible with RRS lever-release clamp
• Features a detachable design, the base plate and detachable vertical plate
• Won’t block camera battery compartment lid opening or data cables hatch openings
• Allows full access to the LCD screen
• The base plate has an extra 1/4”-20 threaded mounting hole for additional functions
• Light weight Aluminum, CNC machined
• Smooth, scratch resistant hard anodized oxidation surface
Standard Arca-Swiss dovetails, compatible with Arca Swiss, RRS, kirk, Wimberley, Markins, Sunwayfoto, Benro, Suri, Fotopro.
Color: Matt black
Suit for: Sony A7 MARK II
Mounting screw diameter: 1/4″ (the screw size that connecting the QR plate and camera)
Item size: Approx. 13.6 * 7.2 * 5.7cm / 5.4 * 2.8 * 2.2in
Weight: 90g / 3.19oz
1 L-Shaped Quick Release Plate
1 Hex Wrench